The Limpopo Department of Education has been working with a number of strategic partners to design and deliver non-contact programmes and courses for learners across the different schooling phases. In this instance, teaching and learning happens through television programmes, radio lessons, online lessons and e-resources.
These platforms are used to provide alternative learning interventions for learners who are not yet back in class and an ideal catch up platform for those already phased back in school.
The television programmes that can be accessed by learners in the province include the Department of Basic Education’s TV on Channel 122 Open View HD. These programmes cover Grade 12 Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, English (FAL), Accounting, Economics and Geography.
Other programmes offered by the same channel include Grades 10 and 11 Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, English (FAL) and Accounting.
The Mindset TV on DSTv channel 319 also offers Grades 9 – 12 Mathematics as well as the Grades 10 – 12 Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, English, Accounting, Economics and Geography
The Limpopo Department of Education prides itself on the programmes that it offers through the SABC, commercial radio stations and community radio stations.
These programmes cover all grades and delivered in the language media that are understood by local listeners. More emphasis is given to the gateway subjects such as the sciences, mathematical sciences, commercial subjects and languages.
In order to broaden access to online learning interventions, a number of organisations offer free or zero-rated programmes and courses. These are:
• HeyMath Innovation Lab (Pty) Ltd that provides free online access for Maths (Grades R-12) and Physical Sciences (Grades 8-12).
• The zero-rated Vodacom e-School for Grades R-12.
• Siyavulla offers free e-text books for Maths (Grades 7-12) and the following subjects for Grades 10-12: Physical Sciences, Natural Sciences, Life Sciences and IT and CAT for Grades 10-12.
• Khan Academy offers zero-rated Mathematics and Science for Grades R-12 and EFAL. Schools with connectivity are able to freely access the above-mentioned resources freely until 30 September 2020.
• Mind-set Maths, Life Sciences, Geography, IT, History, EFAL, Accounting, Business Studies, Maths Lit, P Sciences offered for free to Grades 10-12 learners in the province.
The department has partnered with a number of organisations to avail electronic copies of learning and teaching materials, in addition to hard copies of learning and teaching materials.
These can be accessed by curriculum advisors, teachers and learners.These e-resources include audio and video lessons for Grades R-12, e-textbooks on the departmental web portal and downloadable content for offline use.
"COVID-19 has challenged us to rapidly learn to live in the new normal. The pandemic has compelled us to accelerate our interventions on the use of digital means of education. This is a reality that we are embracing through our carefully tailored strategy on e- education", said MEC Polly Boshielo.
For more information on the above-mentioned virtual support programmes, courses and interventions visit the following sites:
Ms Tidimalo Chuene
082 831 0227