How to spot spam
- Spam emails may feature some of the following warning signs
- You don’t know the sender.
- Contains misspellings (for example ‘p0rn’ with a zero) designed to fool spam filters.
- Makes an offer that seems too good to be true, such as Lotto, inheritance or SARS payouts.
- The subject line and contents do not match.
- Contains an urgent offer end date (for example “Buy now and get 50% off”).
- Contains a request to forward an email to multiple people, and may offer money for doing so.
- Contains a virus warning.
- Contains attachments, which could include .exe files.