REGISTER AS AN EDUCATOR.
Are you a qualified teacher and want to teach in South Africa? You must register with the SouthAfrican Council for Educators (SACE). You cannot be employed as a teacher if you are not registered with SACE.
If you have foreign qualifications, they must be evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) before you register with SACE.
In addition, kindly note that SAQA does not evaluate qualifications for the purpose of employment in specific work areas. In particular, to be employed as teacher in South Africa, the qualifications and academic transcripts have to be submitted to the Department of Basic Education (Section: Educator Qualifications and Programmes) where the qualifications will be evaluated for employment in education. The applicant will be informed in writing of the outcome. Your qualification must be recognised for employment in education before you register with SACE.
If your application is successful, SACE will register and issue you with a registration certificate.
What you should do
Complete the application form and submit it to SACE with the following documents:
- certified copies of your professional diploma(s) and/or degree certificate(s)
- certified copy of your identity document
- registration fee.
Non-South African citizens must include the following:
- an evaluation report from SAQA
- an evaluation report for employment in education from the Department of Basic Education:Educator Qualifications and Programmes section.
- a work permit stating that they are permitted to teach in South Africa
- proof of permanent residence and non-South African identity document
- proof of employment or pending employment by a school in South Africa.
Sourced from National Department of Basic Education.